I was planning our “Breakfast for Dinner” menu, and knew that I would want something along with the Brown Sugar Bacon Waffles I was already planning to make. Jim that this was unnecessary, but I ignored him like I tend to do when planning menus. Shhh, don’t tell. I had saved this recipe from Chaos in the Kitchen and thought it would be the perfect choice, as it was a savory compliment to the waffles, and frittatas reheat well, so I could plan on having the leftovers for lunch in the coming week. When I told Jim about it, he all but turned up his nose, but knew that verbally expressing his opinion was useless, as I was still going to make it, despite his protests.
I love how easily this came together, and that you can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when you’re ready to eat. The only change I made to the original recipe was increasing the amount of eggs from 4 to 6. I found that when I added the originally called for amount of eggs, it just didn’t seem like enough, so I added more. It’s cooking, not rocket science, so, unless you’re baking, go with your gut, I’m glad I did.
When the night of “Breakfast for Dinner” finally rolled around, Jim, as always, tried everything I made, as he is finally starting to understand that in my mind his love for me is equated by his trying of my food. As I knew he would, he loved the waffles, and to the surprise of both of us, he very much enjoyed the frittata, and even went back for seconds. I guess he loves me after all.
- ½ lb Breakfast Sausage, cooked
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets, cooked fresh or thawed frozen
- ¼ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 4 Egg Whites
- ½ cup Milk
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Grease a 9 inch deep dish pie plate and preheat oven to 400° F.
- Layer broccoli, sausage and cheese in pie plate.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, whip together eggs, egg whites, and milk with a fork. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over ingredients in the pie plate.
- Place pie plate in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until completely set and browned on top.
- Cool slightly, slice into wedges and serve.
- Reheat in the microwave for 45 to 60 seconds per slice.
Servings – 10
WW Points – 4 pts per slice