January in Wisconsin. There’s not much to say about it, except for one word: cold. Now, I’m not going to complain, as I think WAY too many people complain about the weather here, and it’s pointless, as it always comes back around. How does one beat the cold? Why with soup of course! I found this recipe on Ezra Pound Cake. I made only a few, slight, changes, which are reflected below. Paired with some fresh bread, and maybe even a light salad, it’s a nice way to warm yourself up before heading back out into the cold.
- 1 ½ lbs. Red Skinned Potatoes, about 3 or 4 depending on size
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ cup Onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups 1% Milk, divided
- ¼ cup Low-Fat Sour Cream
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp Granulated Garlic
- ¼ tsp Celery Salt
- 1 Tbsp Chives, minced
- 3 slices Bacon, chopped
- 1/3 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 4 tsp Scallions, thinly sliced
- Scrub and dry the potatoes, and prick them all over with a fork. Place the potatoes on a plate, and microwave them on high for 13 minutes. The potatoes should be tender. Cut them in half, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, sauté bacon in a saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Remove bacon drippings from pan.
- Add the oil to the pan, and sauté onion for 3 minutes. Add broth.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and ½ cup milk. Add the mixture to the pan with 1 ½ cups milk. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in sour cream, garlic, celery salt, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Peel skin off of potatoes. Roughly chop the cooked potatoes and add about 2/3 of the potato pieces to the saucepan and blend with a hand blender, or potato masher, until smooth. Add remaining potato pieces and stir to heat through.
- Stir in chives, and taste to see if additional salt and pepper is necessary.
- Garnish each serving of soup with cheese, green onions and crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.