October 20, 2014
- Sunday: Meatloaf Muffins, Mashed Potatoes, & Steamed Green Beans and corn
- Monday: Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Biscuits & Bread
- Tuesday: Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts with Steamed Carrots, and Mushroom Quinoa
- Wednesday: Loaded Steakhouse Baked Potatoes with Steamed Broccoli
- Thursday: Alfredo over Spinach Linguine topped with Cajun Spiced Shrimp and Steamed Green Beans
- Friday: Jack-O-Lantern Jaunt
- Saturday: Asian Braised Short Ribs over Rice with Stir-Fried Vegetables – These were good, but I would add a bit more soy sauce and sriracha next time as I would have liked a little more salt and spice within the final sauce.
October 12, 2014
- Sunday: Post Photo Dinner: Maxie’s Southern Comfort – Not that one needs an excuse to go to this fantastic restaurant, but on Sundays kids eat for $1, so, really, we had to go. Jim had the jambalaya, which was delicious and could easily have been 2 meals.
I had the Frogmore Stew that I eyed up on our last visit, but passed on in favor of the chicken fried chicken, which is awesome if you were wondering. Anyway, back to the stew, per the menu, it’s a mix of “Shrimp, mussels, ocean fish, house smoked chicken andouille, onion, fresh corn, and seasoned broth, served with french bread”. The flavor was rich, savory, and spicy. Surprisingly spicy actually. I mean, yes, I get it, it’s a Cajun restaurant, but I was a bit overwhelmed at the overwhelming spice of the dish. That being said, I couldn’t stop eating it, and would recommend to anyone who loves seafood, … and spice.
Carter loved his chicken tenders served with waffle fries, and carrot and celery sticks. Oh, and of course, we didn’t skip a side of the amazing White Cheddar Mac ‘n Cheese for the table to share. It’s the best.
- Monday: Chicken Enchiladas Ole, Refried Beans, Rice, Chips and Salsa. – So glad I stashed a few of these in the freezer for quick and easy weeknight meals.
- Tuesday: Shredded Beef over Pappardelle with Steamed Broccoli
- Wednesday: Crunchy-Topped Swiss Chicken Bake with Quinoa and Steamed Carrots – We’ll definately be having this again, as Jim really liked it, and I loved that it came together quickly during a busy weeknight.
- Thursday: Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells with Caesar Salads and Garlic Bread – I made these a couple weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon, and then portioned and froze for some more quck weeknight dinners … are you noticing a theme here? I will say that I adjusted the recipe slightly by using frozen chopped spinach rather than fresh and cut the cream cheese down to 1 block rather than 2.
- Friday: Pizza Delivery from Falbo Brothers – Pizza, wings, and Greek salad made for a great Friday night dinner and fabulous leftovers for the rest of the weekend.
- Saturday: Chicken Pot Pie Soup & Biscuits – While the plan was to simply make chicken pot pie, I added a bit too much stock, but can’t say that I’m mad about it. Oh, and I cheated with some biscuits from the freezer rather than scratch made since it’s becoming really, really exhausting to run errands 7 1/2 months pregnant. It’s going to be a long 10 weeks.
- Other Cooking & Baking: Quadruple Berry Muffins – I used a mix of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries adding up to 2 cups. The boys thought they were a bit on the tart side, but I love them.
October 6, 2014
- Sunday: Slowcooker Sundays: Grandma’s Roast Beef with Homemade Noodles – As you can see from the picture, we skipped the noodles in favor of some potatoes and vegetables. I also mixed together a quick gravy, that was delicious with everything on our plates, but most notably so, the beef.
- Monday: Oven-Fried Chicken, Steamed Green Beans, and Buttered Rice
- Tuesday: Garlic Butter Pork Tenderloin, Steakhouse Baked Potatoes, Steamed Carrots and Asaparagus, and Fresh Bread – I picked up this pork tenderloin from our local Sendick’s. I don’t think I could be anymore in love with this new to the Lake Country area grocery store. Paired with baked potatoes and some fresh vegetables, it was a quick and delicious weeknight meal.
- Wednesday: Leftovers – Gotta love a leftovers night. It cleans out the fridge, and makes clean-up almost nonexistent. Wins all around.
- Thursday: Boboli Pizzas & Salad – This is one of Carter’s favorite meals, as he gets to help, and it’s getting to the point I’m just there to supervise. Not much beats the look of pride on his face when he tells his dad that he helped with dinner.
- Friday: Fish Fry Take-Out from the Nashotah Clubhouse – Fish, Shrimp, Fries, Potato Pancakes, and Sides. This was out first time ordering from this local restaurant, and we were very pleased with our meal. Everything was fresh and delicious. We’ll definitely be ordering fish, and trying other items from the menu, in the future.
- Saturday: Happy Birthday Elinor!
September 22, 2014
- Sunday: Texas Crockpot Chili with Cornmeal Biscuits – Welcome back to fall and #SlowCookerSundays. This chili comes together in about 30 minutes in the morning, and then hangs out all day long in the slow cooker while your house with the warm smell of spices and deliciousness. These biscuits are a great accompaniment, especially when covered with honey, which is what my boys like to do. One of the best parts of this dish is that is freezes perfectly, and I have 5 meals waiting in our freezer downstairs.
- Monday: Blackened Tilapia Sandwiches with Fries, Slaw, and Veggies with Dip – Jim requested a “po’ boy of some sort” for this week’s menu. With cajun seasoning and fish from the freezer, it’s an easy request to grant. What also made these great is the 10 for $10 baguettes from the freezer section in Costco. They stopped carrying these for awhile, but I’m oh so glad they’re back in stock.
- Tuesday: Homemade Pizza and Caesar Salads – The key to back-to-school is proving to be planning and easy meals on the fly when tastes or plans change mid-week. Having Boboli crusts and TJ’s pizza sauce in the pantry is just one of many ways to be prepared. What was also great about this meal is that Carter proudly took on the role of head chef. Pepperoni for Carter, Italian meat trio for Jim, and an Alfredo, capicola, and hatch chili for me. All were delicious.
- Wednesday: CopyCat Chipotle Burrito Bowls (Chipotle Rice) with Corn Salsa and Guacamole – This was BEYOND amazing, and I’m oh so glad I added to the week’s meal-plan. The only exception is the linked recipe to the rice. While the ratios were correct, I would have been better off following the directions on the side of the package. This was another meal that Chef Carter stepped in to help on, and his guacamole was delicious.
- Thursday: Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs with Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts – We enjoyed this new to us recipe very much, and will be making again in the months to come. I did add some crushed red pepper to the broth mixture for a spicy, sweet, savory flavor that cut through the richness of the chicken.
- Friday: Crispy Broiled Shrimp with Spicy Cocktail Sauce, Roasted Broccoli, and French Fries – I had planned on baked shrimp scampi, but Jim clearly wasn’t excited about things, so I quickly changed direction with this recipe. I liked the idea of this preparation, but would need to be careful next time to not let the shrimp get too crusted in the cracker mixture, as it could lead to it coming out too dry.
- Saturday: Fred’s Birthday Dinner
September 2, 2014
- Sunday: Candied Pecan Salad with Grilled Chicken and Fresh Bread
- Monday: Spicy Chicken Tostadas (1/2 batch)
- Tuesday: Blackened Salmon and Steamed Broccoli with Alfredo Sauce over Spinach Pasta
- Wednesday: Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie
- Thursday: Leftovers
- Friday: HS Friends Pizza & Ice Cream Sundae Party
- Saturday: Dinner at Cafe Hollander and Dessert at Le Reve
September 2, 2014
- Monday: Beef Stroganoff over Egg Noodles (filet in freezer)
- Tuesday: Chopped Asian Salads, Sushi Rolls, and Panko-Crusted Chicken with Dipping Sauces
- Wednesday: Bar Food Night – Flatbread Pizzas, Mozzarella Sticks, Jalapeno Poppers, and Chopped Salads
- Thursday: Chicken Enchiladas Ole, Refried Beans, and Chips and Salsa
- Friday: Corn Cakes with Tomato Avocado Relish, Steamed Asparagus, and Oven-Roasted Shrimp and Oven-Steamed Crab Legs with Cherry Crisp for Dessert
- Saturday: Popcorn & Cupcakes!
August 18, 2014
- Sunday: Take-Out Pizza & Salad from Bennoli’s
- Monday: Bean Tostadas and Ground Turkey Tacos
- Tuesday: New Orleans Style Shrimp and Rice - This was simple and delicious and will definitely be making a second appearance at our table.
- Wednesday: Five Guys for Burgers and Fries
- Thursday: Leftovers
- Friday: Anti-Pasti, Sheet Pan Pizza and Caesar Salads – I’m sad to say, we didn’t love this. The crust was a bit crisper than we would have liked for such a thick slice. Oh well, it was still pizza, so not all bad, just won’t be making it again.
- Saturday: Perfect Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup and Date Night at Maxie’s Southern Comfort – Fried Green Tomatoes and Cajun Popcorn (Zesty fried crawfish tails with Remoulade, BBQ Black Angus Beef Brisket (Hickory smoked, tangy KC style sauce, and fresh corn & arugula salad) and White Cheddar Mac ‘n’ Cheese, and “Chicken-Fried” Chicken (Tasso gravy, mashed potatoes, daily veg.)