September 22, 2014
- Sunday: Texas Crockpot Chili with Cornmeal Biscuits – Welcome back to fall and #SlowCookerSundays. This chili comes together in about 30 minutes in the morning, and then hangs out all day long in the slow cooker while your house with the warm smell of spices and deliciousness. These biscuits are a great accompaniment, especially when covered with honey, which is what my boys like to do. One of the best parts of this dish is that is freezes perfectly, and I have 5 meals waiting in our freezer downstairs.
- Monday: Blackened Tilapia Sandwiches with Fries, Slaw, and Veggies with Dip – Jim requested a “po’ boy of some sort” for this week’s menu. With cajun seasoning and fish from the freezer, it’s an easy request to grant. What also made these great is the 10 for $10 baguettes from the freezer section in Costco. They stopped carrying these for awhile, but I’m oh so glad they’re back in stock.
- Tuesday: Homemade Pizza and Caesar Salads – The key to back-to-school is proving to be planning and easy meals on the fly when tastes or plans change mid-week. Having Boboli crusts and TJ’s pizza sauce in the pantry is just one of many ways to be prepared. What was also great about this meal is that Carter proudly took on the role of head chef. Pepperoni for Carter, Italian meat trio for Jim, and an Alfredo, capicola, and hatch chili for me. All were delicious.
- Wednesday: CopyCat Chipotle Burrito Bowls (Chipotle Rice) with Corn Salsa and Guacamole – This was BEYOND amazing, and I’m oh so glad I added to the week’s meal-plan. The only exception is the linked recipe to the rice. While the ratios were correct, I would have been better off following the directions on the side of the package. This was another meal that Chef Carter stepped in to help on, and his guacamole was delicious.
- Thursday: Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs with Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts – We enjoyed this new to us recipe very much, and will be making again in the months to come. I did add some crushed red pepper to the broth mixture for a spicy, sweet, savory flavor that cut through the richness of the chicken.
- Friday: Crispy Broiled Shrimp with Spicy Cocktail Sauce, Roasted Broccoli, and French Fries – I had planned on baked shrimp scampi, but Jim clearly wasn’t excited about things, so I quickly changed direction with this recipe. I liked the idea of this preparation, but would need to be careful next time to not let the shrimp get too crusted in the cracker mixture, as it could lead to it coming out too dry.
- Saturday: Fred’s Birthday Dinner
September 2, 2014
- Sunday: Candied Pecan Salad with Grilled Chicken and Fresh Bread
- Monday: Spicy Chicken Tostadas (1/2 batch)
- Tuesday: Blackened Salmon and Steamed Broccoli with Alfredo Sauce over Spinach Pasta
- Wednesday: Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie
- Thursday: Leftovers
- Friday: HS Friends Pizza & Ice Cream Sundae Party
- Saturday: Dinner at Cafe Hollander and Dessert at Le Reve
September 2, 2014
- Monday: Beef Stroganoff over Egg Noodles (filet in freezer)
- Tuesday: Chopped Asian Salads, Sushi Rolls, and Panko-Crusted Chicken with Dipping Sauces
- Wednesday: Bar Food Night – Flatbread Pizzas, Mozzarella Sticks, Jalapeno Poppers, and Chopped Salads
- Thursday: Chicken Enchiladas Ole, Refried Beans, and Chips and Salsa
- Friday: Corn Cakes with Tomato Avocado Relish, Steamed Asparagus, and Oven-Roasted Shrimp and Oven-Steamed Crab Legs with Cherry Crisp for Dessert
- Saturday: Popcorn & Cupcakes!
August 18, 2014
- Sunday: Take-Out Pizza & Salad from Bennoli’s
- Monday: Bean Tostadas and Ground Turkey Tacos
- Tuesday: New Orleans Style Shrimp and Rice - This was simple and delicious and will definitely be making a second appearance at our table.
- Wednesday: Five Guys for Burgers and Fries
- Thursday: Leftovers
- Friday: Anti-Pasti, Sheet Pan Pizza and Caesar Salads – I’m sad to say, we didn’t love this. The crust was a bit crisper than we would have liked for such a thick slice. Oh well, it was still pizza, so not all bad, just won’t be making it again.
- Saturday: Perfect Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup and Date Night at Maxie’s Southern Comfort – Fried Green Tomatoes and Cajun Popcorn (Zesty fried crawfish tails with Remoulade, BBQ Black Angus Beef Brisket (Hickory smoked, tangy KC style sauce, and fresh corn & arugula salad) and White Cheddar Mac ‘n’ Cheese, and “Chicken-Fried” Chicken (Tasso gravy, mashed potatoes, daily veg.)
August 11, 2014
- Sunday: Baseball Team BBQ – Brought Pasta Salad
- Monday: Culver’s Take-out – I think we have a problem around here …
- Tuesday: Spaghetti with Meat-sauce and Brady Street Garlic Bread – This being pregnant thing is kicking my butt. Jim says it did last time too, but I do not remember being this tired every. single. day. Seriously, at 2:30 p.m. just about every single day, I become ridiculously tired, and it’s about all I can do to not crawl into bed, let alone figure out plans for dinner. Thank goodness for meatballs and red sauce in the freezer. I warm them up on the stove, slightly mash the meatballs, stir in some pasta, and we have ourselves a meal.
- Wednesday: Another night with no desire to cook and no clue what to eat. Thank goodness for Carter and his great ideas that sometimes aren’t corndogs.
- Thursday: Leftovers
- Friday: Carter-Mama Party
- Saturday: Tail-gating before the Brewers Game – Bringing cookies and pickles … ice cream would melt, and it’s WAY too cliche.
August 4, 2014
- Sunday: Sliders on Pretzel Buns, Corn on the Cob, Fries
- Monday: Chinese Take-Out from Emperor’s Kitchen – A sad week here in Lake Country, as our favorite Chinese restaurant will be closing its doors as of Saturday. Luckily, they have a second location in Brookfield that will be our new go to for our Chinese take-out fix.
- Tuesday: Leftovers from Monday – If ain’t broke, and it’s also delicious …
- Thursday: Popcorn & Leftovers
- Friday: Chicken Taco Salads
- Saturday: Grazing through the Wisconsin State Fair
July 30, 2014
- Sunday: Bean and Chicken Tostadas for Me & Chicken Nuggets and Broccoli for Carter
- Monday: Chicken Enchiladas Ole with Refried Beans, Mexican Salads, Chips, Salsa, and Guacamole
- Tuesday: Dinner at Kurt’s Steakhouse – This was a great meal, all the food was well prepared and delicious, but the service quality and kitchen speed are still lacking. This used to be one of my favorite places, but I find I don’t look forward to my next visit the way I used to
- Wednesday: Sausage and Pepper Skewers with Mushrooms and Summer Squash, Grilled Baby Broccoli, Crusty Fresh Bread, Strawberry Shortcake over Biscuits with Fresh Whipped Cream
- Thursday: Popcorn and Chocolate Chip Cookies – This is what happen when Carter and I are on our own for dinner
- Friday: TJ’s Appetizer Buffet – Cheese Plate with Manchego, Parmesan Pastry Puffs, Spanakopita, Arancini Bites, Wild Mushroom & Black Truffle Flatbread, and Assorted Macaroons – This was a great, no effort, spread that yielded tasty results. Not bad for $32. The only disappointment was the flatbread. While the flavor was good, I would have liked to see more pieces of mushroom, rather than just the thin layer of mushroom spread. Other than that, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of these again to serve for a party or fun night with the family.
- Saturday: Pasta and Red Sauce with Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Tenders, Garlic Bread, and Caesar Salads … oh, and let’s not forget warm brownies and vanilla ice cream for dessert.