July 21, 2014
- Sunday: Pizza, Salad, and Bread sticks from Falbo Brothers - After almost 7 hours in the car, the idea of making dinner was unappealing, to say the least. This plan worked out well, since we enjoyed the leftovers for the rest of the week with no waste.
- Monday: Pan-Seared Halibut, TJ’s Rice Pilaf, and Steamed Green Beans with Toasted Almonds and Brown Butter – I tried a halibut recipe of from my Gourmet Quick Dinners. The final result was a bit lacking, but reminded me how quick and easy this type of fish can be, and we’ll definitely be enjoying again soon.
- Tuesday: Spicy Turkey Taco Salads – Mexican food is a weekly, or more, requirement in this house, and a salad filled with everything you’d put into a tortilla is a, slightly, healthier way to enjoy one of our favorites.
- Wednesday: Baked Shrimp Scampi, Crusty Bread, Simple Salad – I modified this recipe slightly to reduce the amount of butter and breadcrumbs used, add a pinch of crushed red pepper, and roast shrimp on top of a bed of green beans and bell peppers to add some veg to our meal. After burning Jim out on shrimp a few years ago, he actually declared this a good meal. I may try the recipe/technique with tilapia or other white fish sometime soon.
- Thursday: Leftover Pizza and Breadsticks with Caprese Salad – Nothing exciting, just leftover pizza, but I did take advantage of a lot of fresh basil and tomatoes on-hand for a tasty salad.
- Friday: Leftover Pizza, Breadsticks, and Macaroni & Cheese – Man, I forgot just how tired “cooking” a baby can make you. I had a nice dinner planned, but when 5:00 p.m. came, I had to wave the white flag and announce we’d be having leftovers. No one complained. Especially when I made popcorn later in the evening.
- Saturday: Roasted Bone-in Chicken Breasts, Crash Hot Potatoes, Sesame Steamed Carrots, Steamed Broccoli, Baguette, and Cherry Cheesecake Bars - This was a deliciously simple dinner for a weekend. The potatoes are a family favorite, and the chicken is so basic, it works out well to make extra and use the leftovers for other recipes later in the week, like maybe, oh I don’t know, enchiladas … As for the cheesecake bars, we liked the overall flavor, but found the cheesecake to graham cracker crust ratio a bit off. When I make them again, I would double the filling, and add a 1/4 cup of sugar to the crust to keep it together a bit more.
June 12, 2014
- Friday: Pizza and Asiago Dip at the Delafield Brewhaus
- Saturday: Lilian and Delia’s Birthday Party!
- Sunday: Italian Marinated Flank Steak, Veggie Kabobs, Caprese Salad, and Foccacia
- Monday: Pizza from Papa Murphy’s
- Tuesday: Pasta with Meat Sauce and Garlic Bread
- Wednesday: Leftovers
- Thursday: Out to celebrate the end of 4K
June 9, 2014
- Friday: Take-Out Fish Fry from Sendik’s in Hartland – At the risk of repeating myself, I am loving this new grocery store. I have absolutely loved everything I’ve tried here, and this now includes the Friday offerings from their hot bar.
- Saturday: Callie’s Birthday Party!
- Sunday: Herb-Marinated Grilled Chicken, Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus, grilled Yukon golds, and Honey Wheat Bread
- Monday: Chicken Enchiladas Ole, Mexican Rice, Refried Beans, Chips, Salsa, and Guacamole
- Tuesday: Grilled Hot Dogs on Pretzel Rolls, Baked Beans, Chopped Salad, Watermelon
- Wednesday: Mexican Left-Overs
- Thursday: Out to Dinner at Kurt’s Steakhouse: Chicken Wings, Onion Strings, and Salad
- Other Cooking and Baking: Classic Tuna Noodle Salad
May 29, 2014
- Friday: Fish Fry at Golden Mast – I don’t know what’s going on in Lake Country, but we had another bad experience in a formerly tried and true restaurant during this meal. First we were told there was immediate seating, we just needed to wait for the second hostess to return, and then proceeded to watch them seat 4 parties while we stood there waiting. When I spoke up to the hostess we originally checked in with, there was no apology, and she looked at our family as if it were the first time she had laid eyes on the 3 of us. We could have forgotten that, had we not waited for drinks, been served a fish fry that tasted like it had been sitting for quite some time under a heat lamp, and never receive the extra potato pancakes we had asked for. When you’re paying for dinner, you expect what you’ve been promised, and this trip to The Golden Mast simply didn’t deliver.
- Saturday: Grilled Chicken Pieces, Sweet Potato and Vegetable Skewers, and Dirt Cake - This was a great meal all around. I have to admit though, the star was the dirt cake. I feel like dirt cake was cool in the 90′s, and then it went into hiding. I sort of get it, as it’s not really refined or fancy, but here’s the thing, it’s damn easy, and damn good.
- Sunday: Grilled Flatbread Pizzas, Boneless Buffalo Chicken, and Blue Cheese Chopped Salad
- Monday: BBQ’d Ribs, Grill Baked Potatoes, Chopped Blue Cheese Salad, and Strawberry Pie - So, I’m eating more of this pie as I type this, and it’s delicious. Light and fresh, with a tasty shortbread crust. That being said, and this could be due to operator error, it’s not very pretty once served, and really ends up like a jell-o salad with cookie bits on your plate, and I mean that in the best way possible. Again, this could be due to my error with the recipe, but, all in all, it’s still a delicious summer dessert.
- Tuesday: Leftover Ribs and Drumsticks
- Wednesday: Out for Mexican at Fiesta Cancun - It’s great to have a solid Mexican restaurant right in our own backyard. They have great chips and salsa, along with everything else on the menu, and the service is quick and friendly.
- Thursday: Flatbread Pizzas
May 21, 2014
- Friday: Grilled Flatbread Pizzas & Turtle Sundae and Burgundy Cherry Ice Cream from Kopp’s
- Saturday: Coconut Shrimp with Rice & Broccoli
- Sunday: French Toast Muffins and Fried Chicken Take-Out from Schwefel’s in Oconomowoc
- Monday: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole over Rice
- Tuesday: Grilled Adobo Rubbed Pork Tenderloin Tacos, Jalapeno Creamed Corn, Fajita Vegetables Skewers
- Wednesday: Steakhouse Baked Potatoes and Chopped Salads
- Thursday: TBD
May 1, 2014
- Friday: Out to dinner at Fiesta Cancun - This is a nice little Mexican restaurant that we’re lucky enough to have in our area. My judgement of a Mexican restaurant is their tamale, relleno, and taco combination plate. In my opinion, if they can execute this well, they can do other things well. They do this well, and their salsa is delicious to boot.
- Saturday: Surf & Turf Night: Filet, Shrimp, and Crab Legs with Roasted Teeny Potatoes and Broccoli – Jim asked for steak, I wanted seafood, we made a delicious compromise. In fact, I think Jim ate more crab than steak. I have to admit though, I enjoyed the roasted broccoli as much as anything else we had that night. We’ll definitely be having that again soon.
- Sunday: Easter, brought Mandarin Salad with Candied Almonds and Coconut Macaroons - Both of these recipes were a hit, and we’ll be enjoying again, and probably again and again too.
- Monday: Bicentennial Rubbed Chicken Breasts, TJ’s Rice Pilaf, Roast Green Beans with Toasted Almonds, and Rosemary Foccacia – The winner of this meal was our first taste of TJ’s boxed rice pilaf. A great quick side to have on hand for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner.
- Tuesday: Pasta with Red Sauce and Meatballs – Thank goodness for a freezer stash of red sauce and meatballs. Every couple of months I spend a weekend afternoon over a huge pot of sauce and very large tray of meatballs. Once done, they are portioned into portioned zip lock bags and frozen for very quick weeknight meals.
- Wednesday: Chicken Nuggets, Baked Fries, Mac & Cheese, and Chopped Salads – This was a Carter meal if ever there was one, but I can’t say we mind.
- Thursday: Banana Oatmeal Pancakes with Chocolate Chips and Bacon – We’ll have to keep working on this recipe and execution, but it’s already a winner. I mean, let’s be honest though, we’ve got carbs and chocolate working together here, so it’s going to be delicious, right? I will note, I used a real egg, rather than a flax egg.
April 21, 2014
- Friday: Pan-fried Tilapia, TJ’s Potato Pancakes, Steamed Green Beans, and Broccoli Slaw
- Saturday: Chicken Parmesan with Fresh Pasta and Homemade Red Sauce
- Sunday: BBQ’d Ribs, Mashed Potatoes, Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts, and BLT Chopped Salad with Blue Cheese
- Monday: Meatball Subs and Fries
- Tuesday: TJ’s Mandarin Chicken with Broccoli Stir-Fry and Steamed Rice
- Wednesday: Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
- Thursday: Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo over Rice with Cornmeal Biscuits