As I’ve mentioned before, we’ve been enjoying, as Jim calls them, fruit and nut salads a lot recently. They’re a great weeknight meal, and it’s great how widely the flavors can vary depending on the green/fruit/nut/dressing/cheese combination you go with. I made this one on Friday to go along with a seafood gratin I was serving for dinner, and was told that this interpretation of the European Salad from Pistachio Health was Jim’s favorite. Go me! J
- 1/3 cup Orange Juice
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar, I use white
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Egg White
- ¼ Sugar
- 1 cup Pistachios
- 6 to 8 cups Salad Greens
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple, chopped
- ½ cup Craisins
- ½ cup Blue Cheese, crumbled
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and drizzle desired amount over salad.
- Preheat oven to 375⁰. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and sugar. Fold in 1 cup whole Sunkist Pistachio Kernels.
- Spread pistachios in a single layer on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, stirring halfway through baking time or until sugar looks bubbly.
- Loosen pistachios and let cool for 10 minutes. Store in airtight container until ready to use.
- In large bowl, toss half the candied pistachios with the salad greens, ¾ of the apples, craisins, and cheese. Arrange onto salad plates; sprinkle with remaining apples, craisins, blue cheese and candied pistachios.