- Sunday: Pizza, Salad, and Bread sticks from Falbo Brothers – After almost 7 hours in the car, the idea of making dinner was unappealing, to say the least. This plan worked out well, since we enjoyed the leftovers for the rest of the week with no waste.
- Monday: Pan-Seared Halibut, TJ’s Rice Pilaf, and Steamed Green Beans with Toasted Almonds and Brown Butter – I tried a halibut recipe of from my Gourmet Quick Dinners. The final result was a bit lacking, but reminded me how quick and easy this type of fish can be, and we’ll definitely be enjoying again soon.
- Tuesday: Spicy Turkey Taco Salads – Mexican food is a weekly, or more, requirement in this house, and a salad filled with everything you’d put into a tortilla is a, slightly, healthier way to enjoy one of our favorites.
- Wednesday: Baked Shrimp Scampi, Crusty Bread, Simple Salad – I modified this recipe slightly to reduce the amount of butter and breadcrumbs used, add a pinch of crushed red pepper, and roast shrimp on top of a bed of green beans and bell peppers to add some veg to our meal. After burning Jim out on shrimp a few years ago, he actually declared this a good meal. I may try the recipe/technique with tilapia or other white fish sometime soon.
- Thursday: Leftover Pizza and Breadsticks with Caprese Salad – Nothing exciting, just leftover pizza, but I did take advantage of a lot of fresh basil and tomatoes on-hand for a tasty salad.
- Friday: Leftover Pizza, Breadsticks, and Macaroni & Cheese – Man, I forgot just how tired “cooking” a baby can make you. I had a nice dinner planned, but when 5:00 p.m. came, I had to wave the white flag and announce we’d be having leftovers. No one complained. Especially when I made popcorn later in the evening.
- Saturday: Roasted Bone-in Chicken Breasts, Crash Hot Potatoes, Sesame Steamed Carrots, Steamed Broccoli, Baguette, and Cherry Cheesecake Bars – This was a deliciously simple dinner for a weekend. The potatoes are a family favorite, and the chicken is so basic, it works out well to make extra and use the leftovers for other recipes later in the week, like maybe, oh I don’t know, enchiladas … As for the cheesecake bars, we liked the overall flavor, but found the cheesecake to graham cracker crust ratio a bit off. When I make them again, I would double the filling, and add a 1/4 cup of sugar to the crust to keep it together a bit more.