- Friday: Pom Hula Martinis and Blackened Salmon Alfredo with Spinach Pasta – What better way to celebrate the end of the week than with a delicious cocktail? Oh yeah, we also had some dinner too. 😉 I tossed some of TJ’s spinach and chive pasta with a simple and light sauce, and a filet of broiled salmon that had been heavily coated with Cajun seasoning. It was a hit, and a super quick meal for a busy night.
- Saturday: Pineapple Margaritas, Chips with Guacamole and Salsa, Enchiladas Ole, Refried Beans with Bacon, Mexican Rice Pilaf, and Dessert Nachos – Oh how I’ve missed these enchiladas. There are so many recipes out there, that I forgot about the ones my mom made for us. Paired with bacony refried beans, and a savory rice studded with carrots, corn, and peas, it was an awesome meal, and, dare I say, a good substitute for our local Mexican restaurant for those not interested in going out to eat on yet another bitterly cold Wisconsin night.
- Sunday: Snacks with Carter – Simple Spicy Crab Dip with Potato Chips and Cucumber Slices, Chicken Nuggets, Sour Cream & Chive Fries, Veggies & Ranch, and Chips with Guacamole – My little man loves a “Carter Mama Party”, so he was okay with Jim being gone to enjoy the game with his dad. We did a spread of some snacks while watching Pretty Little Liars. I am loving the Simple Crab dip I got the idea for from a blogging friend, and will need to figure out exact proportions to blog about soon. Stay tuned, as I see this as a staple appetizer for your next party, especially one that is in the summer, as it would go great with a deck, some sun, and a deliciously icy cocktail.
- Monday: Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs, Steamed Green Beans and Oven Roasted Cauliflower – I had high hopes for this dinner, but the boys didn’t love it. Jim noted that he’s not a fan of citrus flavors, so having it in both the chicken and cauliflower was a turnoff. I liked the chicken, but found the lemon unnecessary for the cauliflower.
- Tuesday: Chicken and Smoked Sausage Gumbo with Steamed Rice and Cornmeal Biscuits – Oh my goodness, do we love this gumbo. It’s awesome, and tastes very, very similar to one I had in NOLA, which made me really excited, as sometimes there isn’t a substitute for the “real thing”. It takes a good amount of time and care to make, but nothing too difficult, and freezes beautifully as well. The cornmeal biscuits were an awesome find, and perfectly combined the flakiness of a biscuit with the subtle texture of cornbread. I’ll be making these again when we have another dinner that needs a dip-able side item … maybe some of that leftover gumbo.
- Wednesday: BBQ Turkey Burgers with Pickles & Cabbage Slaw, Baked French Fries, and Onion Rings – Simple turkey burgers to satisfy a burger and fry craving. I think I need to start putting slaw on all my burgers.
- Thursday: Leftovers – After all that cooking, time to clean out the refrigerator for next week’s meals.