- Friday: Annual Jack-O-Lantern Jaunt with The Renno Family – This is the 3rd year we’ve gotten together with friends for dinner at Fork in the Road in Mukwonago, and then onto the local jack-o-lantern walk to check out the displays. I was a little bummed this year, as the restaurant’s menu has changed, and isn’t nearly as great as I remembered. This used to be a favorite of mine, and, while still good, I don’t know that I’ll be pining to get there more often.
- Saturday: Roasted Chicken Breasts with Brussels Sprout Gratin, Steamed Carrots, and Mashed Potatoes. Served with Sesame bread and Mini-Apple Pies made by Chef Carter for dessert. – The star of this dinner was the gratin. We all loved it. All of us. Even Carter. Dessert was a recipe Carter made with his 4K class, but he did note that ours didn’t have “slime” like the ones at school. It took me a moment, but I figured out they must have used apple pie filling at school, rather than chopped fresh apples.
- Sunday: Snacks or Leftovers – Carter I and I attended a birthday party in the morning and then ran some errands, and Jim went to watch the Packer game at his dads. With it just being the two of us, I set out some veggies, dip, cheese, and crackers for “dinner”.
- Monday: Chili Glazed Salmon with Toasted Garlic Rice Pilaf and Sugar Snap Peas – I roasted the salmon, and then finished with a bit of jalapeño jelly as a glaze. Also, so glad I decided on this pilaf, as I forgot how much we like this side dish.
- Tuesday: Southwestern Chicken Chopped Salads – Another winner from Fresh Express’s new line of salad kits. I added corn, olives, red pepper, tomatoes, and chicken. Overall, very good, but the dressing could have benefitted from the slightest additional zip, maybe a little chili powder and/or lime juice. Doing bone-in chicken on Sunday nights is a great way to have meals on the table more quickly for the rest of the week.
- Wednesday: TJ’s Perline Pasta with Alfredo Sauce, Chicken, and Broccoli – I like having pastas and sauces like these on hand for an easy weeknight meal. I used leftover chicken from earlier in the week to round out the meal.
- Thursday: WS Beef Chili with Cornbread Muffins – I like having this on hand for a quick to pull together weeknight meal. I use cubed stew meat and black beans in our family’s version and serve over macaroni with shredded cheese and sour cream for topping.