When I saw this recipe from Erin’s Food Files, I was immediately intrigued by the idea of a raw zucchini dish. Don’t get me wrong, I love zucchini, but I always enjoy it cooked, so the idea of eating it in its raw state quite frankly freaked me out a little. I was excited to give it a try though, and I’m so glad that I did.
The zucchini and yellow squash are sliced very thin, and the salt and olive oil breaks them down ever so slightly, so you really forget that they’re raw. The tomatoes and basil give a great flavor, and start to meld into the dish, and start to taste like a bright sauce. This was a great compliment to the Chicken Piccata I served it with, and would make a great addition to any meal, especially those that feature heavier and richer items.
- 2 zucchini squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
- 2 yellow summer squash, shaved thinly lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- In a large bowl, gently toss together all ingredients.
- Transfer to a platter and serve immediately, though it’s just as delicious the next day, so don’t be scared of left overs.
Servings – 6
WW Points – 1 pt per serving