This is an adaptation of Real Simple‘s Chicken with Mushrooms and Green Beans. I loved the spicy sweet flavor of the chicken after it has been roasted, and wanted to take that flavor out to the grill. These were really good, but I would advise allowing to marinate as long as possible, as the flavor is a little subtle when only allowed to sit for an hour.
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs Chicken, breast, drumsticks, and/or thighs
- ¾ tsp Dried Thyme
- ½ to 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper, freshly ground
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 3 Small Navel Oranges, 1 zested and juice and 2 halved
- Combine thyme, red pepper, salt, and pepper, olive oil, garlic, orange juice, and zest in a ziplock bag. Place the chicken in bag and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours, turning once or twice to coat.
- Preheat grill on high. Brush the cut sides of the halved oranges with olive oil. Arrange chicken and oranges, cut side down, on grill. Cook for 20 minutes, rotating 2 to 3 times, and flipping oranges half way through.
- Allow chicken to rest covered for 3 to 5 minutes, and squeeze grilled oranges over chicken before serving.