I am woefully behind in my blogging, but I have a good excuse, as I have been busy and traveling for work the past couple of weeks. After being laid off for almost a year, I am still excited to be overly busy with my job. As gratifying as being a wife and mother can be, there is most absolutely a space within me that can only be satisfied with the feelings accomplishment that a job well done, in terms of my career, can bring. Now, onto the food . . .
There are many, many recipes for white chicken chili out there, but I wanted to try my hand at one that was truly my own. Oh, and I had Poblano peppers to use up, AND I wanted to use my crockpot, and this week was, unofficially, crockpot week at our house. I found a few recipes as jumping off points, like this one from Rachel Ray, and this one on Bakin’ and Eggs, and this one on Whole Grain Gourmet. I also consulted the White Chili with Chicken recipe found in the Cuisinart Slow Cooker manual.
- 2 chicken breasts, bone-in
- 2 tsp pepper, divided
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 6 Cups water, divided
- 2 Tbsp Chicken soup starter (if you’d rather, you can skip this, and use 2 cups of chicken stock in place of 2 cups of water)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil (feel free to skip this if you have non-stick pans)
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 6 small or 4 large, Poblano peppers, cut into a large dice
- 2 cans White Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 jalapeño, veined, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 ½ tsp Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 cup corn, frozen
- ¾ cup quinoa
- Place chicken in slow cooker with 4 cups of water and 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, depending on slow cooker and whether your chicken is frozen or thawed.
- When chicken is done, remove from slow cooker, and set aside. When cool enough to handle, shred with fingers or fork.
- Add last 2 cups of water to the pot with the juices from the chicken, and whisk in soup starter. (If you’re not using the soup starter, this is where you would add in your stock.)
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté onions, stirring infrequently so they get a little color, for about 6 to 8 minutes. Add in garlic, and cook about 2 minutes more. Add to slow cooker pot. Add peppers to pan and cook, again stirring infrequently, for about 5 minutes. Add these to pot as well.
- Stir in beans, cumin, coriander, oregano, bay leaf, remaining salt and pepper, and shredded chicken.
- Cook on high for 4 hours. When timer goes off, stir, add in corn and quinoa, and set on high for 1 additional hour.
- Discard bay leaf and serve with cornbread or chili-cheese quick bread.