I was looking to try a new macaroni and cheese recipe, but Jim requested that there wouldn’t be any “crap” in it. In Jim’s vocabulary, this “crap” means vegetables or anything else I might be able to hide within the pasta and cheese. Now, while I respect my husband’s requests, (what good wife wouldn’t?), I also want to find ways for us to eat some of our favorites without having to be rolled in out of places. Since this recipe from Savory Spicy Sweet got rave reviews from Liz and her husband Tim, I decided we would give it a go.
I’m sorry to say that we didn’t really like this at all. In fact, Jim said something he’s never said ever, “Just toss the leftovers”. Unfortunately, the onion and mustard made the whole thing too tangy for us, and the cheese didn’t really melt into the smooth sauce that we wanted it to. So, I guess it’s back to the drawing board.
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 ½ cup skim milk or buttermilk
- 2 tsp mustard
- pinch of cayenne, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp onion, minced
- 1 cup/4 oz. sharp cheddar, grated
- ½ lb. macaroni, or similar pasta, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp Pecorino or Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375⁰.
- Lightly grease 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, with an immersion blender, combine cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, onion, salt and pepper and puree until smooth. Add the onions, cheddar and uncooked macaroni to the pureed mixture. Stir well.
- Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into the baking pan.
- Combine the grated Pecorino or Parmesan and bread crumbs and sprinkle over top.
- Bake about 45 minutes, until topping is browned and the center is firm.