Modified from this recipe on Delish.com: http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/spicy-sausage-jambalaya-ghk0108
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the bias
- 8 ounce(s) turkey andouille, or smoked, sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 green or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) stewed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 cup(s) uncooked instant brown rice
- 8 ounce(s) chicken tenders, each cut crosswise in half
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 cup(s) small shrimp, fresh or thawed frozen
- 1 bunch(es) green onions, sliced
- Heat 12-inch skillet on medium-high until hot. Add olive oil. When hot, add in celery and saute about 2 minutes. Add sausage and pepper, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, rice, chicken, chicken broth, salt, Tabasco, Cajun seasoning; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is just tender. Depending on the rice, you may need to add in more broth.
- Once rice is finished, add in shrimp and heat until cooked or warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in green onions. Serve immediately with Tabasco on the side so guests can season additionally to taste.